Sanna Mirella Marin is the 46th Prime Minister of Finland. She took office at the age of 34, making her the world’s youngest prime minister.
Member of the Social Democratic Party of Finland, Marin is Finland’s third female prime minister. She was the youngest serving head of state until the age of 33, Sebastien Kurz became Chancellor of Austria for the second time on January 7, 2020.
Before moving to Tampere, Pirkanmaa, Finland, Marin lived in Espoo, Finland and Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa. Here are 13 other things about him:
- She was born in Helsinki, Uusimaa, Finland. When she was young, her parents separated. She was raised by her mother and her partner.
- She was the first person in her family to attend college. She obtained a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree in administrative sciences from the University of Tampere. Between obtaining these diplomas, she worked as a cashier in a store.
- In 2000 she got a summer job in a bakery in Tampere. It was his very first job.
- She started dating a former Finnish footballer Markus Raikkonen in 2003. They got engaged in 2018 and their first child Emma Amalia Marin was born on January 28, 2018.
- In 2004, she graduated from Pirkkala High School. In high school, she handed out magazines for pocket money.
- In 2006 she joined the youth organization of the Social Democratic Party of Finland Social Democratic Youth. She served as vice-president of the organization from 2010 to 2012. In 2014, she was elected second vice-president of the Social Democratic Party of Finland.
- She failed to get elected when she ran for office Tampere City Council in 2008 but she was elected in 2012. She was president of the city council from 2013 to 2017. She was re-elected to the city council in 2017.
- In 2015, she was elected to the finnish parliament as a Member of Parliament (MP) for the electoral district of Pirkanmaa. She was re-elected in 2019.
- On June 6, 2019, she became the Finn Minister of Transport and Communications. On December 10, 2019, she succeeded the 45th Prime Minister of Finland Antti Juhani Rinne.
- his father Lauri Marin struggled with alcoholism. He died in July 2020. On August 1, 2020, she and Räikkönen were married in Kesaranta, the official residence of the Prime Minister of Finland located in Helsinki. The ceremony was attended by 40 friends and family members.
- In March 2021, she condemned the persecution of ethnic Uighurs in Xinjiang, China. In December 2021, she visited a nightclub in Helsinki with friends.
- On May 26, 2022, she meets the Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky in Kyiv, Ukraine, and visited the war-torn Ukrainian towns of Irpin and Bucha.
- In August 2022, videos of her partying and dancing in a private apartment in Helsinki were leaked and went viral. She voluntarily took a drug test and tested negative. Several complaints were filed but on November 4, 2022, the Chancellor of Justice Tuomas Poysti concluded that she had not neglected her duties as Prime Minister.